BRICS Legal Communities meet in Saint-Petersburg
On 16 May 2019, members of BRICS legal communities met in Russia during the IX Saint-Petersburg International Legal Forum (SPILF 2019) to discuss the next BRICS Legal Forum (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, October 2019) and other issues concerning legal cooperation among BRICS countries and emerging economies.
The meeting was attended by the following delegates from Russia, Brazil, India and Malaysia:
Association of Lawyers of Russia (ALRF):
- Stanislav Alexandrov, CEO — Chief of Staff, member of the Board;
- Chamy Vu, Chief Adviser for International Affairs, Executive Office; Secretary, Commission on Legal Framework of Modern Integration Processes of the Russian Federation.
Brazilian Bar Association (OAB):
- Felipe Cruz, President;
- Marcus Coelho, President, National Commission of Foreign Affairs;
- Bruno Barata, Secretary General, Foreign Affairs Committee; Council Member, IBA.
Bar Association of India (BAI):
- Prashant Kumar, President Elect, Bar Association of India;
- Paurush Kumar, Head, Asia-Pacific Desk, Trinaya Legal.
- Jeff Leong, Co-Chair, Belt and Road Committee; Chairman of Corporate, Securities And Investment Law Standing Committee.
Parties agreed to involve lawyers from other emerging economies to attend the BRICS Legal Forums and touched on creation of arbitration institutions, establishment of the Committee on Improvement and Harmonisation of Law of BRICS Countries and emerging economies, and further legal cooperation.
Photos: Ivan Dolgarev