ALRF holds a session at the VI Moscow Legal Forum
The Association of Lawyers of Russia (ALRF) jointly with the Kutafin Moscow State Law University (MSAL) held its session entitled «Arbitration in BRICS countries and emerging economies» on 4 April 2019 within the framework of the VI Moscow Legal Forum.
In the context of the development of economic relations between the BRICS member states and emerging countries, the establishment of arbitration institutions administering cross-border disputes arising between business entities of such countries becomes more and more relevant. The internationality of these arbitration institutions could derive from having common standards and arbitration proceeding rules, as well as common panel of arbitrators and information support online system (on the Internet). Such approach would help to increase confidence among parties to civil transactions in the mentioned institutions within the disputes involving a foreign element of the
BRICS or emerging countries.
The Chairman of the ALRF Victor Blazheev, as well as the Chairman of the Russian Association of Judges Yuri Sidorenko addressed welcoming speeches to the participants of the session.
The participants discussed the relevant issues of arbitration (arbitration proceedings) regulation in Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa, including the following aspects:
- creation of arbitration institutions in the BRICS member states and emerging economies with common standards and rules;
- exchange of experience in the sphere of arbitration in the BRICS member states and emerging countries;
- relevant issues of legal science, legislation and its implementation practice in the BRICS member states and emerging countries;
- development of sports arbitration in the BRICS member states and emerging countries;
- prospects for establishing a permanent arbitration institution in Russia with the settlement of cross-border disputes between business entities of the BRICS member states and emerging
countries being its priority area of activity.
The session was moderated by Peter Ilychev, Chairman of the ALRF Commission on Arbitration Proceedings, and Cha Mi Vu, Chief Adviser for International Affairs (ALRF Executive Office), Secretary of the ALRF Commission on Legal Framework of Modern Integration Processes of the Russian Federation.
Among participants and guests:
- Prashant Kumar, President Elect, Bar Association of India, Senior Partner, Trinaya Legal (India);
- Yao Hongmin, Director of the Research Center, Shanghai International Arbitration Center (SHIAC) (China);
- Deline Beukes, CEO, China-Africa Joint Arbitration Centre (CAJAC);
- Mikhail Savransky, Deputy Chairman, Arbitration Centre at the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP), professor, Chair of International Private Law, Research Centre of Private Law under the President of Russian Federation;
- Alexander Grebelsky, Assistant Professor, International Private and Civil Law Chair, Moscow State Institute of International Affairs (MGIMO); rapporteur, ICAC at the CCI RF, Managing Partner, Grebelsky & Partners Attorneys at Law;
- Peter Maggs, Research Professor of Law, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (USA);
- Jeffrey Burt, Adjunct Professor at Georgetown University Law School, Partner (Retired), Arnold & Porter;
- Roman Gherakov, Executive Secretary, Commission on Arbitration Proceedings, ALRF, Head of the Moscow Oblast Department, Arbitration Centre at the RSPP;
- Joachim Homeister, Lawyer and Notary in Berlin, Advocate, Bar of the Moscow Region (Russia); Partner, Bottermann Khorrami LLP (Germany);
- Stanislav Alexandrov, CEO – Chief of Staff, member of the Board, ALRF;
- Alexey Klishin, Chairman, ALRF Commission on Legal Framework of Modern Integration Processes of the Russian Federation, member of the Board, ALRF;
- members of the ALRF Commission on Arbitration Proceedings;
- members of the ALRF Commission on Legal Framework of Modern Integration Processes of the Russian Federation;
- members of the ALRF Commission on International Cooperation.